Written by Brandon on 4/19/2009 11:51:00 PM
Labels: ,

It's about time I give one of these writing prompts from Twenty Something Writers (awesome site) a try. Actually, correction:

It's about time I give one of these writing prompts a try and actually post the entry.

Truthfully, I did the last prompt they put up -- something along the lines of "if you could go back in time and change something, when would you go and what would you change?" And what was originally meant to be a two paragraph response became this emotional drivel spanning several pages about a childhood friend of mine. I'll post that eventually, but in its current state it's a stylistic monstrosity, and I want to edit it because I think it could be one of those good things that I write in my life.

Anyway, to this latest prompt, which actually made me a bit giddy:

Who was your favorite cartoon charachter as a child? No holding back, admit it! Did you have a lot of collector’s items (stuffed animals, bed sheets, figurines, etc) of them? Are they worth any money currently?
 Ok, here we go, I'll be honest. It's not like anyone will be all that surprised anyway:

 !!Sailor Moon!!
 
Yeah, I could have posted a more "official" image of the Sailor Scouts from the show, but don't they just look so cute in their 80's-anime couture evening dresses? God, I am hopelessly gay...
Shocking right? I know...

I was so in total, complete love with Sailor Moon as a kid. It was also a love my mother encouraged, because it was the only thing that would wake me up in the mornings for school (you see, SM only came on early mornings during the weekdays. I would actually wake up earlier than my mother to catch it). It took everything I loved about Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers -- the whole "group of innocent youths suddenly given the power and responsibility to protect the world" thing -- and took it to the next level: making it a cartoon series centered around angsty teenage girls, glitter and cute costumes! Everything the burgeoning gay boy in me needed!

(Not to mention, Dorian is THE sexiest cartoon hunk. Ever. Period. End. Of. Discussion.)

But more than that, it was the greatest escape. Just like Power Rangers, Sailor Moon was a show that catered to the kids that just wanted to feel powerful and important in a word that made the decisions for them. These five girls weren't super heroes in the traditional sense. They weren't born with their super powers. They didn't get their powers in a freak accident and thus were forever marked by them. They were normal kids with normal problems, and normal hobbies, and normal crushes. But, when the world was in trouble, they could transform into something great, something that the world needed.

As a kid, it was the greatest thing to escape into that.

(oh, and I was also Sailor Jupiter) 
 

(She was the tallest girl in her class, loved to cook, and was the least afraid of getting in some bad dude's face. Fuck yes)

And if I could meet them...I'd steal Sailor Moon's transformation pen. Instead of the pain of getting dressed and keeping a wardrobe every day, I'd love to be able to just call out what I wanted to look like that day (sexy news reporter!), twirl around gracefully amongst a spray of stars and glitter, and voila!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yo, I was never into Sailor Moon, but it doesn't take a die hard fan to realize how kick ass Sailor Moon is.

Kudos from Katie.

Treasure them!

Anonymous said...

You get 10 points just for being awesome!

Sassy Britches said...

I'm over from Katie's place again; I love it here. I just gave you an award over at my blog~